Tidbits!

I’ve done a little tidbit post before, and it’s about time for another one. Tidbits is where I like to post the obscure stuff that wouldn’t normally get their own post. Like, for example, a crocheted plane keychain.

This one’s actually a little funny because it says “Spanair” on it and it actually went to Spain! I should have let it fly itself. Those shipping costs are horrendous!

Also, this is a little Spriggan from Final Fantasy. Another custom order. I was pretty pleased with the fuzziness of the yarn, which I managed to accomplish by combing it out with a wire brush like I did with my eevees a few posts back. When I asked if she wanted it to be fuzzy, she gave me the choice. It’s more work to comb out all the yarn, but I think it looks better this way, so I couldn’t pass it up!

And lastly, a blanket! This one was a re-creation of one of my client’s kid’s blankets that got destroyed. I tried to match it as closely as I could for those sentimental brownie points.

54525375_356562701618521_7016957207010869248_n

That’s it for tidbits. Happy Friday, Everyone!

Advertisements

Ambidextrous Blanket!

Happy New Year, Everyone! As always, I have a little bit of a backlog from the last year, so I’ll be spending the next couple of weeks posting things I made in 2018. Starting with this!

I think this blanket is a great thing to start the new year with because it speaks to one of my achievements from last year. I learned to crochet left-handed!

I was taught right-handed, so I’ve always crocheted that way, even though it’s not my dominant hand. When a student wanted to learn left-handed, I made the switch to teach her. After a couple of lessons instructing her, I realized that I wasn’t even conscious about how awkward the switch felt anymore. That’s when I decided to make this blanket!

48370888_502417890244391_7661151779710566400_n

This blanket was made both right-handed and left-handed! When I got to the end of my row, instead of turning my work, I just switched hands and started going the other way, giving it a pretty unique stitch.

It also presents a milestone for me because I know, for once, how long it took to make! People always ask me, but I’m horrible at keeping track. Not this time, though!

The blanket took me 16 hours and 42 minutes to make.

When I started out, I timed myself with both hands to see the difference.

One row with my right hand took 6 minutes to finish.

One row with my left hand took 11 minutes to finish.

I recorded this at the very beginning of the project. I also timed myself when I was almost done to see if I’d improved any, and I had!

One row with my right hand took 4 minutes

And one row with my left hand took 7 minutes.

Yay improvement!

Overall, I’m pretty pleased with everything about this blanket, and I hope the new year can bring me as much success.

Happy Friday, Everyone!